Monday, July 30, 2012

        Yesterday was a very peaceful day for me. At 11 am on Sunday we drove to our friend Maria-Elena's house. In three cars we began our journey to Beatriz's (our Landlady's) property outside of San Cristobal. Once we arrived, we set up a picnic and started to grill some meat. We explored the place a little which is a bit of forest that has some corn planted throughout the uneven ground. It is a really beautiful place to be. After sitting around her artificial pond, I went back to the main area where we were staying. I lay down on our picnic blanket and closed my eyes. I wasn't sleeping, I just liked to feel the wind, listen to the people talking, hear the beautiful sound of the wind moving through the branches of the pine trees and just relax in the shade. My mom roused me from my resting to get me to eat. We had peanuts, meat, salad, bread and for dessert, brownie wood. Now some of you may be wondering "oh what new kind of treat is that?" In fact, brownie wood is just brownies that are very hard due to some sort of cooking problem. I had a bunch of mini ones even though they were slightly painful to eat. From eating all of those delicious-tasting but painful-eating brownies, my last baby tooth that I had yet to lose started to hurt. As we played a very animated game of paddle ball, tripping over random mounds and dips, I started to lose my tooth. After we finished playing I pulled out the rest of my tooth!
      After our lovely picnic we decided to accompany the rest of the group to Teopisca (a town nearby) to have a hot chocolate or coffee. We sat down inside of a restaurant on the city square and got some drinks. Maria-Elena walked me to the church also on the square. It is the oldest church in Chiapas and a three hundred year-old altar was shipped from another town to be installed in this church. It was really beautiful; around the walls there were saints in glass cases and in one we were surprised to see that there was a black saint! Of course when we got home we googled it and it turned out to be Saint with a name that I instantly forgot! Sorry about that!
    Upon arriving home and eating dinner we played the game called Bluff, BS or as some adults like to call it Bull S***. It was very fun and my mom won the game. Similar to other nights we moved over to the TV and tried to watch the Olympics.

6 comments:

  1. It was Saint Benedict the Moor, I think. In the statue we saw, he is carrying a basket of bread because in the monastery he was on kitchen duty a lot. He is known for his patient and dignified bearing. Thus sayeth Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Wilhelmina. I envy your time relaxing in a beautiful place! (Not so much the stinky cat butt.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the smell is pretty bad but it is okay now with the febreze

      Delete
  3. Frebreeze! Oscar cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete