Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Today was the day Oscar and I figured out how out of shape we are.
Just before soccer camp this morning.

      We slept in a little bit more than the day before. We did the usual morning routine and left for the soccer camp. We got really lost which proceeded to our being late.
      We did lots of drills and learned juggling tactics. We started to get really hot. We were sweating and we got quite red in the face. Of course, I was the only girl and possibly one of the oldest. For the last bit of the camp (which lasted 2 and a half hours) we did scrimmage. I scored the first goal and Oscar scored the second. Once my team realized that I wasn't some wimpy girl and that I could score, they start passing to me more. I heard them say "The new ones are scoring the goals".  Once I had the ball they would say variations off my name such as "Yumina", Guie or Guillermina. I then proceeded to score 2 more goals and Oscar scored another. I can't take all of the credit though because a boy named Fernando who played middle fielder was an amazing player and made great passes. I did kick some Mexican boys butts in soccer!!!!
        We came home exhausted but happy. We plan to assist the camp tomorrow. Just as we came home it started to DUMP. It was raining extremely hard and it was practically a flash flood. It then started to hail. They were rather big, maybe half the size of a small, normal marshmallow but very hard. There was a wave generated by a "tope" or speed bump. Afterwards our backyard smelled great because the flowers had been mashed to a pulp.
My mom is narrating the storm here....


      A little side note: Cowjie climbed into my pants drawer and it made a really cute picture.
      At 6:30 we went to a rock climbing place to watch an english documentary called "the first ascent". After the movie they had a raffle and then a climbing contest. Oscar tied for second place with another kid. I, sadly did not have the strength. I was happy of Oscar though.
      I am very tired.

8 comments:

  1. What a day! Proud of you.

    (Did you notice you wrote that you are going to "assist" the camp again? It seems some Spanish is creeping into your English; I wonder why?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome you and Oscar kicked some mexican boys butts at soccer! that sounds like a fun day. I told you told you not to doubt your wicked soccer powers! also as soon as you described the hail as marshmallow sized I thought about you and Oscar making hail s'mores, which probably taste pretty good for the record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the fields where we practice soccer some people are selling some clay mushroom statues and I think of you every time we drive past them!

      Delete
  3. We thoroughly enjoyed Kirstin's eager narration! Susan

    Sorry I couldn't write earlier, but I have been at overnight Girl Scout camp for two nights and three days (at 9200 feet elevation near Deer Valley). I did the Polar Bear plunge at 7:00 a.m. in the chilly mountain lake. I also did a five mile hike to Mount Majestic. It was a hard and steep climb and very windy, but I made it! My favorite thing was kayaking by myself and staying in the Sacajawea cabin (all the cabins are named after famous women). In a few days we leave to drive to the Oregon Coast. My mom thinks it fascinating that I'll go from 9200 feet to sea level in one week! I did miss my family and friends, but I also had some fun. Love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like so much fun!!! that polar bear plunge sounds FREEZING! I bet that woke you up. A five mile hike!! Well done! I have always wanted to kayak but I have never had the chance! What were some of the other cabins named? Your ears will probably pop like crazy! Have fun in Oregon!
      Love, Wilhelmina

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your blog Wilhelmina! This will be an amazing memento of this chapter of your life. Did you know you can print your blog, like in a book form? It will definitely be something to save forever. Playing soccer down there is probably like ELP soccer. You guys will be coaching all of us when you get back! Take care - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that this could be turned into a book! That sounds cool! My feet are so blistered from playing soccer! Time for new shoes!!

      Delete