Sunday, July 22, 2012

       I wish that I could say that I was very attentive at the interesting funeral, but I wasn't. Just a few minutes after Peter started talking about his mother's life as we stood in a circle holding hands, I started to feel like I wasn't getting enough air. There was a thing that had fire in it with incense burning and I started to think that my lungs were bugged by the smoke. I started to see bright dots in my line of vision; I squeezed my dad's hand as I started to sway. I was then hardly able to see from the dots. My dad lead me backwards to sit down on some steps. By this point I was practically blind and very dizzy. I put my head between my legs and my landlady came and helped me inside to lay down. I drank water as I recovered. We think that I was dehydrated since I hadn't had anything to drink all day and I had exercised the day before.
      The ceremony was really nice. On the steps of where Peter's mother had lived, they put pine needles, flowers, incense, rocks and four different colors of corn to symbolize Birth, Youth, Old Age and Death. They strewed her ashes over flowers, a tree and the day before, in a water fall. When I die I want my ashes to be spread all over the world.

     We ate food and talked with lots of different people. Oscar, a boy named Marco and I went upstairs and hung out on the exercise equipment for a while until we said goodbye to everyone and left to go home. My mom wasn't feeling very well; she felt weak and sick.
      As a break between the two funerals that we attended we hung out at home and played Hearts which is a game with cards. It was a bit confusing at first but we finally got the hang of it (well I did but I can't talk for Oscar).
     After we ate dinner, we walked and jumped over to our friend Doña Lesvia's house for the seven month anniversary of her son Rodolfo Jesus Aguilar Zuniga's death. At the same time that Jesus was deathly ill his newborn son was also ill with pneumonia. Soon after Jesus died they told his wife that the baby was also going to die. She was so incredibly sad that she said she wanted to die. The baby recovered and is now a chubby happy baby nearly eight months old. She is still really sad and there is a nine day mourning period that started today. Doña Lesvia said that whenever possible during this mourning period we should come. The altar that they had made was very beautiful.

     Just a note for those of you that will come to visit us, there is a Mexican custom that after you start to get to know someone they will kiss you on the cheek and give you a hug. When we left the house in which there were some boys my age and they did that Mexican custom I was kind of shocked!
Good night!
    

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a day that was, being dizzy/dehydrated at the funeral with the incense, it must have seemed surreal. But your description of both funerals is helpful and interesting. I lost the link to your blog but your mom sent it to me, and now I'm excited to read back on what I missed. Give your mom a hug, it sounds like she would benefit from some TLC. Love, Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a lot! My mom is feeling a lot better now. She doesn't feel 100% but she is feeling better.

      Delete