Thursday, August 9, 2012

Today we got a lot of things done.
     DAY 3 IN THE CLASSICAL MUSIC AND SLEEP EXPERIMENT 
   Again I fell asleep too late to get the benefit of the classical music! I think I may have to try some other music that I don't know the melody to. Another thought is, I could start the music later and then that way I won't waste the short track of music on talking with my dad before I go to sleep!
      We got up watched an odd Olympic event called Rhythmic Gymnastics; it is a sort of dance that you do once with a ball and once with a hula hoop. It is kind of bizarre to think that it is an event. It is kind of a ballet that involves catching and rolling a hula hoop or bouncing and balancing a ball. The way I am describing it doesn't make it sound as amazing as it really is.
    Anyway, we finally got out of the house as rain drizzled around us. We walked in the rain in sandals and rain jackets. The doors to the climbing gym were closed and we knocked and peeked through the cracks and we were unable to see anyone, so we went back home and read for a while. Soon after, we went out to get our uniform clothes around town. Oscar tried on his clothes of navy blue pants and a white shirt. I think he looked like a missionary. He was offended by my comment, so he tried the same thing when I tried mine on. It didn't work for me because the women missionaries I have seen here wear pants. Here is a picture of me in my "lovely" new uniform without the required tights and sweater:
Me looking stylish as always! (Just joking! Look at the expression on my face prompted by my uniform.)
       We looked around at other store to see if we could buy any other items on our long list of necessary school supplies. We were unable to, so we hurried home to watch the Womens' Soccer final game: USA vs Japan. When we arrived we stormed into our house and threw off our jackets to properly watch the game.
       We surfed through the channels and at first, we were unable to find the game and I was very disappointed in Mexican TV for about 10 minutes until they finally (and seemingly reluctantly) showed the game. I, understandably, was overjoyed to watch the second half. The score then was 1-0, USA's advantage. We had read on the handy dandy cell phone that Carly Lloyd had scored the first goal. As we watched, Carly Lloyd scored the second goal for the U.S. Then, just to make me a nervous wreck, Japan scored a goal, making the score 2-1. At the end there were some spectacular saves by Hope Solo making the U.S. win the gold medal! I was very happy for the U.S. team because they are one of the best teams in the world (unlike the U.S. men's team) and they had worked SO hard to win this. However, the other side of me felt bad for the Japanese women who had worked equally hard and just weren't able to win this time. To make it even worse, the Japanese Olympic officials paid for their men's team to fly business class to the Games...while the women were only flown economy class EVEN though the Japanese women's team is one of the best in the WORLD and even won the last World Cup!!!! I think that is really sad (and not to mention sexist -- and you guys know that I am definitely a feminist!!)!!!
       My parents' Spanish teacher came at the very end of the game and tutored my parents and gave us tips about our journey to Palenque. I knitted for a little while and then went and drew dresses for a little bit while listening to old Sherlock Holmes stories made for the radio. They were broadcasted a long time ago so they have slightly poor quality and ads for Pettry wine and sherry (perfect for before dinner AND after dinner). I was petting Cowjie and had the idea to put him in my shawl and carry him around the way indigenous women carry their babies. Oscar helped me get him in there and then I passed Cowjie and the shawl to him. He was perfectly content that way. Here are the pictures.
The baby Cowjie!!


   

All comfortable!!!!

My parents went on a run and left us at home for a while. They made dinner and we watched some relay races while I ate cheater mac!!! Oscar then had an appointment on skype with his friend Joshua.
Good Night!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Good thing I woke up early because I get to beat Sherri at commenting on your blog, Willa. I need to get a shawl to take with me on the walk I take with El Smallito because I have to carry him if he gets tired and starts limping too much.

    Uniforms are designed to make you have that look on your face. But I see you are still wrapping your toe! Does it still hurt?

    I am got this really great book on tanks...which I have to read pretty quickly as I have a deadline in ten days! Yikes. I don't know nothing 'bout tanks. So now I'm thinking, Why did I say I would write an article about tanks! Except the other choice was China or 'unconventional warfare.' Ugh...China has been around for too long and so has unconventional warfare.
    Smally is snoring so loud Biggy is sniffing his ear to see if he is ok.
    Fun to read about your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smallie getting carried in a shawl would be an adorable spectacle!!

      I think I would have a VERY happy face if I had a Hogwarts uniform but in general i agree with you! I have to wrap my big toe when I go climbing but otherwise it is fine and doesn't hurt. My other wrapped toe has a toenail that won't fall off and that hurts if you put pressure on it!

      Oooohhh Tanks! Uh that would be really hard to write about since I consider them pretty boring!! By the way, what is unconventional warfare?

      When Cowjie snores it sounds REALLY funny!!

      Delete
  2. ...am got...my bad German grammar is affecting my English?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    On Monday night I couldn't sleep and woke up at 5:00 a.m. I had a headache and my throat hurt. In the morning my mom woke me up and told me that I had a fever of 100 degrees. My parents decided that I needed to stay home from camp. After Eli left, I took a long nap. I went downstairs and ate breakfast at 11:00 a.m, and then my mom said I could choose if I wanted to go to camp or not because I no longer had a fever (I didn’t want to miss making pickles at Wasatch Community Gardens). I ended up going. Last night my dad did a funny rhythmic gymnastics dance with a hammer and a hairbrush!

    I hope you guys are doing well in Mexico.

    Love,Lucy

    P.S Cowjie looks like he enjoys being your baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sorry you were sick!! That is just no fun!! I am glad that you still got to make pickles though! Was it fun?! I wish I could have seen your dad's rhythmic gymnastics routine! I bet it was hilarious!

      Love Wilhelmina!
      p.s. I think he does too!

      Delete
  4. I actually really like your uniform. I can tell by the look on your face you don't, but at least it's not plaid :)
    Cowjie does look very comfortable! I bet Jezebel would like that too. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! It could be worse!
      Send me a photo of baby in a sling if you get the chance!

      Delete