Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Today was pretty good considering my despair (maybe that word is a little strong) a couple days earlier.
         When I came into my classroom that kind of resembles a one-room schoolhouse (because of the many different grades in the same class), I asked Ana and Lorena if I could sit with them at the table closest to the door. They replied, "yes" so I sat down and took out a pencil and got down to physics. Once everyone else showed up the same group of girls as yesterday were sitting at a table together.
        Instead of doing Math we were all supposed to go down to the kitchen for a meeting. It was about doing a bake sale with all-Mexican food to raise money for a trip of their choice for the third year students (third year of secundaria is 9th grade). I was a little nervous because we (my family) don't know how to cook real Mexican food so when Lorena asked me what I was going to bring for the bake sale and I told her that my family didn't know how to cook Mexican food and she went and told Karla. Karla helped me decide on making posole and directed me to Lucy the math teacher. Andres and I split the ingredients that we are going to bring to school and they will teach us to make it at school.
       We had a good breakfast and went to English class. There we listened to Bruno Mars songs and were supposed to write down the lyrics that we heard. Then it was time for swimming. Paola was going to swim with us this time; I like her a lot because she is funny, nice and makes weird faces! We got dressed behind a flimsy pink screen which I can tell you is hard especially if you don't feel comfortable dressing (and undressing) with other people around. Also getting into a short sleeve wet suit is still hard to get into no matter what. Swimming was fun and all of us four girls were on the same water polo team. After as we were getting dressed, I toweled my hair, making it stick up all over the place and Paola looked at me and said, "If you were a boy I would have a crush on you" and then Lorena spun around me to look at her and agreed. I was kind of surprised but whatever!
      We had snack and then went to art class. We were supposed to draw a Japanese cherry tree though the teacher kept calling it a Chinese cherry tree. Then we went to Spanish and talked about our projects. Emmanuel had to help me understand what Karla was saying to me but I think I understand now.
       At the end of the day, Lorena gave me a kiss on the cheek and as I was leaving so did Paula. That one didn't work very well though; I accidentally hit her cheekbone with mine (whoops). I still have trouble with the whole kissing thing because I just kind of touch my cheek against theirs. It is the custom to do that to both genders even if you don't know them well. For me, if you kiss someone on the cheek it kind of accepts you into the class. I hope my school kiss count gets higher, not because I like getting kissed but because it is kind of an inclusive thing.

School Kiss Count: 2

We made brownies at night for my dad's birthday tomorrow!!
Good Night! 

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a better day at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wilhelmina, I struggle with the social-kissing thing, too! When I go to conferences and Europeans greet me with a kiss on the cheek, I'm always sure I'm going to head-butt them. I haven't head-butted anyone yet, but I have: a) missed their cheeks completely, b) kissed them on the ear, and c) apologized, saying, "Sorry, I'm American!"

    Smooth, huh? But I agree, it's a nice way to be welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard but I think it went better today. I think I kissed Paola on the cheek instead of ramming her!

      Delete
  3. Mina, you are such a brave girl! You inspire me. I will help Josie fix her posting problem so she can connect with you the way she thought she was :) Give your dad a big birthday hug and a Feliz Cumpleanos from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Monday I started school and it was fun, although the air conditioning isn't working and it's HOT! I have made some new friends already. I am playing the cello in the morning in music class. It is really interesting, but I'm still trying to learn how to use a bow. After that I have math. I am doing the same book as I did last year, but that may change soon.

    I hope you enjoy school.
    Love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cello is a really beautiful instrument! I think it is so cool that you play it! I hope the air conditioning starts to work soon! Glad that you are making friends!

      Delete
  5. It is so strange to here about the kissing thing. At west lots of boys have like a secret handshake they do when they are in the halls. it is very weird to be walking and have some next be like " johnny what's up?" followed bones, skin and a combination of the too. girls generally don't do this but will just stand in the middle of traffic talking as streams of kids go around them. if I see Isabelle or Sheila, I'll probably wave or just say hi. Social customs are so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Here all the guys do the same thing: medium high five and then knuckles! It is different for every place which makes it so weird!

      Delete