Sunday, August 19, 2012

Today was both boring and interesting.
    Yesterday, I had to get up at 8:15. Ouch, remember that we just drove back from Palenque. Anyway I rolled unwillingly out of bed and sat down at the kitchen table as I ate breakfast slowly. I took a shower and got dressed after the rest of the kids woke up. We drove to our school called DICET for a parent meeting. (I used the argument that since it was a parent meeting I shouldn't have to go, but alas I went anyway.) We walked through the gates and into a house on the school property where the principal lives. We sat down at a long table and they commenced to talk about EVERY little detail. For example, they are thinking of doing a camping trip every two months that the kids in middle school can attend. That sounded fun but then they decided that the trip had to be related to an educational principle. They decided that they should focus on water, so everyone talked about how that is a big problem here and one woman said that she doesn't have running water so her family (she thinks she's all that) collects the rain water blah, blah, blah..... The teachers seemed nice but the conversations were very dull. Once I realized that I was not needed in the translation department I stopped listening and read on my kindle. One part of the very boring meeting that surprised me was that one parent thought that meeting once every two months for 3-4 hours wasn't enough!!! Geez Louise!
   My favorite part of the whole meeting was when they gave me coffee! (Emery, I met an adult named Ricardo! Though I think my life (well that meeting anyway) was made more dull by his boring talking!)
    After the meeting we decided to ask a teacher one more time what the uniforms consisted of. She told us but then said she would get someone to show us an example. The daughter of the principal came back with uniforms from the school. So turns out we didn't have to buy everything. We got the right sizes and then went to a restaurant down the road to eat lunch. We ate and then went to Chedraui for our last school items. We went back home and then played cards before we went back out to go see a show called Palenque Rojo.
   One person got in line for seats and then the rest of us went to the plaza outside of the church to do a bungee trampoline ride. It was fun but they stretched the bungee cords to much so I couldn't push off of the trampoline to do a flip.
   We went back to the theater and sat and watched the show. The whole show was in Lacandon and Tsotsil so we had had to read the program that explained in English what the show was about. It was about the ancient Mayans. It was sometimes startling and really cool except the part with kissing and stuff. Awkward!!!
   We went to a really yummy French restaurant and played games before we ate. The food was delicious and we went home later than we had hoped!
Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment