Monday, August 20, 2012

My school day could have been a lot better, but it could have been a lot worse.
      I woke up too early for comfort, ate breakfast, opened Emery's box and read the very nice notes she left. I took a shower and got dressed in my many layered uniform.
      After we got all our stuff together we left for school. I tried to think good thoughts though I was very nervous. We arrived and for the first moments there was no one there. We took a picture for the first day of school and went inside. I walked into my new classroom and sat down terrified. Everyone else was laughing and joking and I was feeling really shy. Our physics teacher gave us a story problem and had us do that for the whole time. I had to ask for a pencil as it was not on our list of items. He left to get one though it was my mom who came up to give me the pencil instead. I read the problem and was a little confused. I was so scared that I was frozen with my head on my hand and my hand shook a little as it held the mechanical pencil. A boy named Emmanuel asked me what my name was and when he heard that my voice sounded American, he said in really good English "That's a nice name," and without even thinking I replied in English, "Thank you." I went back to my confusing problem solving and stared out the window as I wondered if I was in the wrong class because everyone seemed older than me and I heard a boy say he was in his second year of Middle School. I thought I was going to have a really crappy day from then on, however I was mostly wrong.
      Our next class was Math; all we did in this class though was write the rules for the year down. The teacher was really nice even though we didn't do much. A bell rang saying that it was breakfast time. I went down to the kitchen really unsure about what was to take place. I saw people grabbing plates and I asked a teacher what I should do. She said that if I had my own plate, bowl and utensils then I should go get them. I went up to our room to get the items and was unsure how to open the door. I went down and told the same teacher my dilemma. She came up and showed me how to open the door by putting your hand through the window and opening the door that way. I got my stuff and thanked her. I went down and the principal served me the food of: tortilla chips in salsa, cheese and chicken. I sat on the same table as Oscar just not next to each other; I sat next to some of his classmates who tried the little English they knew with me. They were very nice!
      After I was done, I washed my breakfast items outside in the soapy water. I went to go get my toothbrush and toothpaste and brushed my teeth in the bathroom. After I went to the bathroom and returned to the kitchen where the rest of my class was. I sat down kind of away from everyone else until the oldest in our class, Maya, invited me over to sit with her and her friends. She asked me what kind of music and for some reason my brain stalled for a second and I replied Adele, Kelly Clarkson and the Beatles. She said she liked more hippie music like Oasis and Jesse Jay (she might have meant Jesse James). We wrote down the rules for school and then we got onto the subject of the uniforms, Emmanuel said that he didn't feel like the uniform fit what they were trying to do in school. He said that he wished they were more comfortable and modern. In the end the teachers said that we could get dress in pants instead of skirts and that we didn't have to wear the ugliest part of the uniform, the vest.
    We had English class where the teacher divided us into Group A for more advanced and Group B for less advanced. There were three people in our class that were fluent or almost fluent: Maya, Emmanuel and I. We talked in English the whole class and we learned that in our group we would read books and write papers! Our homework for the Group A+ (our group of three) was to write 5-10 books that we wanted to read during the school year. Turns out that the English teacher is Emmanuel's mom. That explains how he knows English (well, he also learned it as his first language).
      After that we had Art in which we painted nametags for our lockers. I just finger painted a big red circle on it. Turns out finger painting a big red circle is very pleasing. After, we had Spanish class. Our teacher was Karla; she is my favorite because she won't take crap from us but she also has a sense of humor and is very friendly and nice. To be honest I am not sure if I will learn much this year but I know that I will learn from at least Karla. If the math isn't hard enough for me I will ask my math teacher if I can work on my work book from the United States.
      At the end of school I went to pick up Oscar and help Oscar's friend's dad understand the teacher (their family is Canadian). After my parents picked us up, we decided not to go to soccer that day. As a treat we went to go get ice cream. Tomorrow I will have to go to soccer for another new scenario.
   We went home and after I did my homework, I played volleyball with my cousins. We ate dinner and then did a five-minute volleyball game.



First day of school


Good Night!


1 comment:

  1. What wonderful stories you tell, Wilhelmina. We loved reading about your first day, and you both look smashing in your uniforms! Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete