Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thursday was slightly bizarre.
       Lore and Azul still didn't show up but I sat with Pao instead. She asked me what kind of games kids in the United States play; I found it really hard to explain the rules of Grounders and Lava Monster because I didn't know the word for jungle gym!
      During the beginning of math, I helped a Canadian kid learn his Spanish with some worksheets. I think he is doing pretty well considering that he didn't know anything a couple of months ago. I did my own work the rest of the time.
     We had been warned earlier by the biology teacher that we were going to have a test that day so I studied earlier. The first six questions were easy but the next twelve were harder. Once I finished, I gave it to the teacher. She read one question to me and immediately I could think of the answer I should have given. She told me to go and change it to the right one and I thought "is this even legal!?" After we finished, she gave us time to do what ever fit our fancy. I did some flips on the goal post for a while before I went to go sit on the hill with Maya and Ana.
     Ana stole a ball from Favio and as he tried to get it, she chucked it down the hill. I ran down and grabbed it, and Toño came up and asked for it. I was about to give it to him but then he tried to bat it out of my hands. Then it was game on! Ana and I worked together to keep it away from Toño and Favio. Favio generally guarded Ana and Toño guarded me. The rules were pretty basic: get the ball and keep it away from the other team at all costs. You could tackle each other (which we did) as long as you are careful (well that wasn't a rule but it might as well have been one, as everyone was pretty gentle). After a while, we went and got fruit for snack and then we played again. Toño and I played again because Favio and Ana were too tired. We recruited Emma and Kevin to make two teams (Emma and Toño against Kevin and I). That was also pretty fun!
    We went to Spanish class sweaty, hot, red in the face and tired. Eventually we cooled off though! Then barely after our body temperatures returned to normal, we had PE!
     We did this really weird race (or attempted race) where we had to do the push up position but put our feet on the shoulders of the person behind us and walk like that. It was incredibly hard!!! We weren't able to do it but he assured us that we would do it on Tuesday (thanks, thanks Profe).
      He made us do this race where at every couple lines we drop and do some push ups. At the first line we had to do 5, the next 10 etc. and at the end we did 20. In total we did 50 pushups (oh my gosh!) and then we did the same thing but with squats. We played soccer at the end and that was the most disappointing part of a mostly good day! I don't want to describe it too well because it was very disappointing, but I will say that I missed four different opportunities for goals!!!!
     Right after school my dad picked us up and we went home for the final preparations for our trip to Guatemala.
      We hopped in the car and got the heck out of town. Now, the problem was that before we even got to Teopisca (roughly 15 miles), there was a blockade that the police (get this, the police) had set up because they wanted to be paid for their work. Our family are into civil rights and all but it was very frustrating. Well I suppose they got their point through!

The long line of cars in front of us.



Protesters' sign.


We inched forward over the course of roughly forty-five minutes and finally got through to Teopisca. We drove on to Comitan and got a room in a charming hotel before we went out to the main square. Oscar and I climbed some trees that had tree limbs that were very easy to climb.

Oscar seated comfortably in the tree.


I stuck my head out the top of the tree and I felt like I was in another world. The top of the tree was flat (they prune it) and it muffled the sounds of the busy world below me.
My head in the other world at the top of the tree.

      We went and got some dessert before we headed back to the hotel and watched a Spanish movie before we all crashed and fell into deep sleeps.

4 comments: