Friday, October 19, 2012

A day when I am asked to write all I know about reproduction......
       When I first entered my classroom, I was dismayed because the table the Lore was sitting at was filled with Ana, Pao, Maya and Tilo. That only left one space at the very front facing away from the board; I didn't feel like the teacher would want me to sit there. I sat down at a spot at another table that was empty. I was disappointed but I tried to swallow it and just work. After maybe ten or fifteen minutes, Maya said, "Willa, come sit over here," (pointing to the chair next to her), "that is not a question." That made me feel really good, like she genuinely wanted me to sit with them!
      Before breakfast, Lore, Ana, Pao, Tilo, Maya, Toño and I played tag with the little kids! We were the taggers first and then he switched it to the older kids being the people who got tagged! Seven against fifty is very hard, let me tell you! We had an okay breakfast and then I kicked a ball around with some people for a bit.
       When Vanessa (the biology teacher) arrived for our next class, we all groaned, none of us really like her, she is cold and unsmiley to us. Lore and I ran to her car nonetheless to be able to carry one each of her adorable twin daughters. She has three kids so she needs help taking them out. Lore carried Naomi into the class and I carried her sister Sienna into the same room.
       In Biology, we were told to write a whole page about what we know about reproduction.......  awkward!! I find those things awkward to write about, so my whole table collaborated to write a page about that embarrassing topic.
       In History, we made a poem by each writing one line (not knowing what the others were writing about) and then fitting them together!
       During PE, we played soccer!! It was girls against boys and the girls did better than I thought they would (I am not being sexist (I am a serious feminist), it's just that most of them have not had as much training in soccer). I scored twice, Maya scored and Pao scored twice!
      When my dad picked us up, I was expecting that he would just take us to soccer, however, that was not the case. Because my mom had a meeting and my dad needed to teach a class, he was going to go set up at the school and send us on a taxi to soccer. I was very upset because I didn't want to go on a taxi on our own. He drove us to get a snack quickly and then he rushed to the school he was going to teach at. We got there and jumped out; we met some people and then waited for the key to the classroom that he was going to teach in. That took a little longer than expected but meanwhile, we talked to a very nice student who spoke a little English. While we were talking to him, a group of high-schoolers formed around us. We were the center of attention and I felt very awkward. I don't like that much attention from people I don't know.
         I heard snippets of conversations about me and here they are: "Their eyes are so pretty" and "She looks like a doll." Looking like a doll is not exactly my intention, just like I did not exactly like it when someone told me that I looked like a Barbie. Not exactly my most shining compliment I would say!!
         When someone finally got us the key, we asked to sit in the library. One of the workers said that we could; we spent an hour their first doing homework and second when that was done, we played games on our parents' phones. The whole time, people watched us (which was sort of unnerving).
        We planned to go to the next hour of soccer, but, I practically fell asleep and I didn't feel like it would be worth it to go at the very end. Instead, we watched my mom do her dance class before we left to go home.

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting and memorable experience you had at the high school--to be surrounded by people so curious about you because you were so different and hearing their comments. I'm sure it felt weird, but I think it was valuable to know what other people in the minority in other situations must feel like, perhaps scrutinized and intruded on.
    What kind of dance class is your mom taking?
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was awkward and a little weird but I survived!! :) My mom is going to a sort of Zumba class.

      Delete
  2. HA HA HA ( GASP) HA HA AH HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Willa. I'd be interested to know if you and your friends get more of the facts correct about reproduction than certain candidates for public office here in the US.
    I, too, am grateful for eye sockets and for the eyes in them. Smally and I are going to go on a short walk...both limping today. Did I tell you I'm going to get a baby carriage for him? That way I can go on longer walks with him and he can see and smell all his friends but not strain his bad leg so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure we did, I read about the head of science's mishap!! The way you put it is so funny! WHy are you limping? that is a very cute idea!

      Delete