Saturday, September 29, 2012

A day in which I lose my respect for a teacher.
           Double physics was harder than normal because of some confusing measurements and seemingly over-large answers. Some kids went to the forest before breakfast but I decided not to because I didn't feel socially ready for it. While they were there, Evodio hit his head and his nose (I believe) started bleeding. That doesn't sound good but in addition to that, he vomited after. Andrés fell on his hand and it is now swollen, discolored and he can barely move parts of it.
          Breakfast was pancakes with honey! The honey was a lot sweeter than maple syrup in my opinion but it was still good. Math was next and I just tried to concentrate on my book but it was very hard. Before Biology class, Toño, Emma and I arm wrestled! We did many variations; one being where one person wrestles with both arms against two people at once which was really hard. I normally beat them on their left arm!
        Biology had some rather odd commentary in the beginning. The teacher told us at the start of class that she was really only interested in teaching Kevin and me because we had never had Biology before.  She also told us that she did not want to teach people who didn't want to be taught because for her it was not worth the effort. Vanessa (the teacher) told the rest of the class that they could do what ever they wanted (listen to music through head phones, write, draw...) as long as they didn't make noise.
      For snack, we had bananas (gosh, be creative people)!!!! Then it was time for History, apparently there was a confusion with the schedule because at the same time we were supposed to have the Social Intelligence class at the same time. The teachers concluded that Karla would teach us quickly and then she would pass us on to the other class. We talked about our History projects which are due in November but seeing as how Karla will go on maternity leave, we need to start now.
       She passed us to Griselda and I suppose she thought that we were being a little rowdy of disrespectful or something. I don't think we were being that bad but whatever; our behavior prompted her to say: "okay, I am going to leave you because I don't want to teach you if you guys don't want to be taught. I will give this time to you guys for free time and when I come back in fourteen days, if all of you behave respectfully than I will keep teaching. If not, I won't teach you anymore." So basically she is leaving us on our own for a while after pushing for this time that Karla surely could have used. She was too chicken to deal with our "disruptiveness" (as my parents think) and said that she is teaching for free because of her "love for DICET." Again, being left on your own is very boring generally.
      We were left to our own devices for roughy an hour plus because it started raining, stopping our PE class. Poor Karla was sent in to watch us for the last half hour of school. We talked about "cualquier cosa" or whichever thing for that time (sorry I forgot the English word temporarily). Karla told Favio to stop massaging Tilo's head because it looked a little inappropriate. I missed a small part of the discussion so I don't know how we got onto the subject of homosexuality and Favio. Maya was explaining to Karla that Favio is homophobic and Karla was shocked because as she said "that [the head rubbing] was the gayest thing I have ever seen!!" That was hilarious and everyone started saying "SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO" which is what they say here if someone gets burned (schooled, served, showed up, etc).
        Karla said something then that I wholeheartedly agree with, she said that Favio wants people to be accepting or tolerant of who Favio is as a person. So then why should he not be accepting of how other people are? Or as I just heard in Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO (Laugh My F****** A** Off) "now stop, hating is bad."
        After school when we were picked up, my parents didn't even bother to bring our soccer stuff because it had rained so much! We went on an errand and then departed for home.

8 comments:

  1. Willa! So much has happened since I checked your blogs. Good for you for not eating the grasshoppers. I'm leaving that experience for a such a time as I have only grasshoppers to eat as they scurry across the floor of my prison cell on a day I am being denied food as punishment for the courage I've shown defying the authorities. No need to waste that experience on a mere restaurant!

    I wish I could tell my students that I won't teach them unless they are interested. One of my students last semester wrote on my evaluation that I had made him lose interest in the Holocaust. Hmmmm...not exactly my goal to entertain.

    Have a great Sunday! Are we in the same time zone? It's 1912 here in Arizona...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up! Thank you! I didn't know computers existed in 1912!! :)

      Delete
  2. I want to know what, exactly, those kids were doing in the forest. It sounds as though poor Evodio may have a concussion.

    As for your teacher...wow. I didn't realize showing up was optional. (Of course, we just had a teachers' strike in Chicago, although that's not quite the same thing.)

    A few rare quiet hours for us at home this morning. Well, quiet except for Felix and Cosmo kicking a ball in their room. Lots of love from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both said that they tripped in the forest and though I am a little skeptical, tripping in the forest isn't hard to believe. Love you all!
      p.s. does Cosmo still have a fohawk (is that how you spell it?)?

      Delete
  3. Your teachers just let let you do WHATEVER! WHAT!!! Your school is weird( for better or for worse)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely did not get the forest thing. Why did some of the kids go there? Did you ever find out what actually happened? Evodio's injury could be serious. Hmmm....

    It's surprising how you sometimes have a long period of slack time at school. I can see why you would find that boring. Do they have any substitute teachers at your school, or do they just cancel class? It's a small school so maybe they don't have the resources for subs.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our class goes to the forest some times just to hang out and talk. They went there for whatever reason (I don't really know). I think Evodio is okay but I have no idea because he always acts the same! The only class that I will have a substitute for is for my History and Spanish class (they are taught by the same teacher) and she will be leaving soon for her maternity leave.

      Delete