Saturday, September 29, 2012

Curiosity killed the cat but without curiosity, people are ignorant.
        I woke up at ten in the morning and crawled out of bed to eat breakfast as my parents went out to see if there were any parades still going.
       Unfortunately the parades for the festival of "La Virgén de la Merced" or in English "the Virgin of Mercy"were all the day before. Then as I sat down in front of the computer, I received a frantic call from my parents urging us to get dressed as quickly as possible. They had found a place where they were going to light off firecrackers. Now if you know my brother, then you know that fireworks are on his list of priorities for a day.
      Oscar and I rapidly got dressed and I washed my hair in the sink because my hair was atrocious. My mom came and got us and we met my dad halfway. We speed walked and ran to the certain street where the fireworks were going to go off.
      Upon arriving, we saw Martine and Paola (from soccer); we greeted them and started talking. Down the middle off the street, there was black gunpowder (which until today I thought was white) and every foot or so a bundle of something-or-other more commonly known as a bomba (firecracker). The people setting this up were civilians and kids! People were allowed to get as close as they pleased and I didn't see a single official person! The people that my dad talked to had said it would start precisely at twelve but being Mexico it started at twelve twenty-five. Once we heard the bombas start to go off, we put our bright orange earplugs in and everyone started to take videos. As they got closer and closer, I moved to the stairs with Martine and Paola's family. When  the bomas went off near us I realized that this was the loudest thing I had ever heard in my life. I could feel the explosions going through my body. With every blast the people on the stairs moved up a step. After it was over and the smoke cleared people went on with their normal lives!
                                     
      After many detours, we eventually got home with freshly grilled chicken for lunch. We ate that and then folded laundry (happy happy joy joy).
     Oscar and I cleaned a bathroom and then my parents gave us money to go get soda for all the work we did cleaning. As we drank our sodas, we played different versions of poker with American and Mexican money. That was a blast!
      Now you may be wondering what the title is all about; well today as I talked to my mom I realized that some quotes contradict each other, though both can be true. For example, curiosity killed the cat which can sometimes make sense. Being too curious can get you into trouble, but at the same time, without curiosity, people would be ignorant. If people aren't curious then they won't go out of their way to learn something about a culture, person, country or theory.

2 comments:

  1. It went from fireworks that rocked your bones to bathroom cleaning.

    ReplyDelete