Friday, September 21, 2012

I am loving sports here in this moment.
          My latest news is mostly about my latest sports occurrences and victories. So sorry for you who have no interest in sports what-so-ever. For those of you who are not sports fans, there is a part about something other than sports so don't lose hope! :)
          The highlight of Tuesday (there was no school on Monday due to holidays) also known as the only thing I remember about Tuesday: PE was very fun; we did relay races and races with partners. We did relay races girls against boys where we would do a variety of things from sitting on our butt (sorry bottom or tushi for those of you who don't like the word butt) backwards and then running to doing five high-knees backwards and then running. I enjoyed the competition. Then we split into pairs and I went with Lore. The first one when we heard about it we all groaned in anticipation: we had to carry each other piggyback and if that wasn't bad enough, we had to stop on every crack in the sidewalk and do five bends-of-knees. I got on Lore's back and she said she was fine carrying me and that it wasn't too hard. Then on the way back I had to carry her, and she kept asking me "are you okay?, are you okay?" I kept replying "Lore, I'm fine." We did well and the next one was also fun. We did a wheelbarrow race which we won!
         At the end of PE we had a soccer game, and I was picked first of the girls and I played pretty hard. At one point, the ball bounced of Paola and I saw the chance of opportunity. I ran and stopped a little before to account for the slide of the dusty concrete. I hit it with a poke of my toe and I made a goal! I was pretty stoked and Favio gave me a high-five.
          The highlight of Wednesday: we had swimming class. I love swimming class because I love swimming and I love playing water polo. I was the only one of my girl-friends who swam (they each had their own excuses) so I changed alone and then jumped in the water. After I swam a certain number of laps I was obliged to (get this) get out to run around the pool! Those are actually the instructions of the swim coach!! After we practiced river swimming, the coach chose two people to choose teams and I was chosen first! I did a couple of assists (is that what you call them in water polo?) and Diego (the best player on my team) gave me a thumbs up after every goal that he scored.
         Now about today, we had to do a presentation on our Spanish project in front of the whole class!!! I was nerve wracked! I was scared but not as scared as Lore (her aunt was grading and Lore had to give them her Spanish notebook in which she had her whole speech!). I did well and I got 10/10 points!
       Because of our project speeches, we were late to PE and we did relay races boys against girls with spoons in our mouths (we found out too late that the kids in elementary school had used them first!) with styrofoam balls balancing on them. We had to keep the ball on it as we passed hoops around our body! Unfortunately we didn't have time to play soccer. Regardless, I still had fun.
      After school we hung out with Lore, her brother (who was very nice), Maya and Tilo. I did tricks on the bars.
      When my dad showed up we went to soccer. The drills that we did were really fun: one that we did was where we lined up everyone's balls and one person kicked the first four with his/her right foot and then the last two he/her would kick it with their left foot. I kicked it pretty hard and I was pleased with myself because I used to have a really wimpy kick.
       When we played the scrimmage game, Oscar and I were split up by age. I was chosen second to last (at least I wasn't last!) and I played left offender. At one point someone passed to me and I scored!! I scored the first or second goal for my team! Then a little later in the game, a kid named Rodolfo (very tall and skinny; he is pretty nice) kicked it with a LOT of force at me. I suppose he thought I would flinch and move. I didn't. It hit me pretty hard on my thigh and elbow. I didn't even exclaim anything because being the only girl, if I am at all wimpy, they won't take me seriously. A minute or so after, he asked, "I'm sorry, are you okay?" I just said I was fine.
       Something I like a lot about here is that some of the best players are defenders, whereas in the US (in general) boys want to be on offense because they get the glory of scoring goals. I felt like today was really fun and I hope that I will grow more used to my team!
Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. That is soo awesome. You are so smart. 10/10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wilhelmina, I am so impressed with how much confidence (and skills) you have gained in sports and how much you are liking them. Way to go! You are one tough cookie to take a soccer ball to the thigh and not flinch!
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the sound of a tough cookie!! I just take it if i want to be taken seriously!

      Delete