Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Friday was pretty fun once I got passed the anxiety of the Biology project.
         I was delighted to see that there were seats open at Ana and Lorena's table this morning. I took the seat and worked on Chemistry.
         Here is a surprising new occurrence: as Ana, Paola and I stood outside class waiting for Lorena to finish copying a table, Favio gave Ana a good morning kiss on the cheek and to my surprise, he gave me a kiss on the cheek also! I was thinking that he would be the last person to kiss me on the cheek!
        Breakfast was passable and then we went to Civic Ethics. We talked about what things in our lives form our personal identities. For me the things that form my personal identity the most are: the different personalities of everyone in my life. For example: my two smart parents, my three interesting and curious god mothers and eccentric godfathers, my wonderful friends and their cool parents and everyone else in between. Another thing that formed my personal identity is learning to speak Spanish and coming here to Mexico. I feel like this experience is already changing me but I know in years to come I will look back on this year and think about how much I learned.
        Then we were supposed to have PE but the teacher again didn't show so after a walk in the forest, we were put to work by Lorena's bossy though-probably-well-meaning Grandmother. We worked in the garden (where I admonished Emmanuel for leaving for a very long time to feed the horse with Tilo and Toño).
         Next we had a snack of various fruits and I was offered a variety of fruits and vegetables covered--I mean covered--in chile/lime stuff. I replied by saying "uhh no thanks!" he kind of laughed remembering the last time I tried it!
        Then it was Biology and I was very nervous in case I had done something wrong in my paper or model. Turns out I was the only one who had done the right thing and I got a perfect score of ten out of ten. I tried not to crack up as Toño made monkey faces with a piece of packing tape over his mouth.
       Next we had Spanish and I worked on the newspapers titles and sections with Emmanuel. I was given a bag of some sort of peas that Lore (Lorena) had harvested in the garden.
      After school Emmanuel met my mom and I helped Karla translate for Ulrich and Edi's dad (the two Canadian's dad). The end of the day school kiss count stayed the same but I am counting it as how many different people during the day kissed me.
      Oscar and I went rock climbing to brush up on our skills before our actual rock climbing trip on Sunday. Alejandro wasn't there five minutes the whole time we were there so obviously he didn't give us any instruction. Mario (the rock climber) and his friends only checked in on us to see if he was needed in the spotting department and after evaluating that he wasn't we would go into the other room.
      Right after rock climbing, my whole family went out for dinner to celebrate my dad's birthday. After checking out a couple restaurants we decided on one that we could watch soccer in! After dinner as I was talking about Paola's funny way of sticking her tongue out after she makes a joke, we were getting our jackets on underneath an umbrella when I heard my name being called. It was Paola! I walked over to her in the dumping rain and we gave each other a big hug and kiss. She met my parents before she had to leave to join her friends who were still walking. My parents agreed that Paola was really nice and I was glad that she noticed me. I think that in general Mexican culture is more into being nice to parents in general, than the United States.
    Upon arriving home we watched a new spy series and ate popcorn and brownies. We gave my dad his presents and then went upstairs to hang out with my mom before we went to bed.
School Kiss Count: 3
Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is all soo cool. Kissing and everything. soooooooooooooooo different. And you have a forest in the back of your school. what??? Your life is officially awesome. It all seems like this life of yours should be in a book. Horses, swimming, forests, all those cool classes. I am so happy you have so many friends and that frankly you rock in all your subjects.WOW You guys are amazingly busy in the best of ways.
    I miss you A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and wish you the best of luck.
    BFFL Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I say good night, I want to add a comment or two, Mina-chan. School Kiss Count! Isn't it intriguing how different cultures deal with such everyday matters as saying hello and goodbye! (I have a friend from Peru, and we finally talked it over and agreed on two air kisses, one on each cheek, when we first meet.) When you look back at your detailed and interesting blogs, I think you will have a good record of how these experiences have changed you and some of the specific things you have learned.

    Your discussion about how we form our personal identities reminds me of the Helen Keller exercise that you told me about several weeks ago ... thought provoking classes, for sure.

    Abrazos from Montana,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete