Sunday, September 16, 2012

The day in which I became President of the school.

                                                            WEDNESDAY
          Physics was the same boringness but when it was time for math, Pow (Pao, short for Paola), Lore (Lorena) and I, along with some boys, were sent down to the kitchen to help cook and do chores around the kitchen for the Kermes (the meeting and food sale later that day). We did little things like give the bunnies and horse their food and then after we washed our hands we put bread crumbs on pieces of pork. Even though the tasks themselves weren't very fun, I had fun doing them with my friends!
          First we had breakfast which was okay but as we waited, Lore told me that I was the best friend she had ever had!!! That made me feel good! She also said that all the rest of her friends try to be better than her though (as she says) isn't good at anything. 
        Karla helped shorten my speech about the parts of a newspaper that I was to give at the Kermes; I figured out that I was going to be a waitress at the event; and in the minutes leading up to it, I was elected President of my school.  In all my gringoness I was still elected President. I didn't want to be President because:
a) I am not even fluent in the language
and
b) I have no idea what being President of DICET means!!!
 I am still in awe of my classmates' decision of my being President because I think I am the youngest in the class and I am a gringa (or extranjera).
         We went out onto the main plaza and the escolta (troop) from the sixth grade class who had started training a half hour before the Kermes, started marching.




We stood in the supposed shade and became broiling hot in our navy blue wool sweaters!!! I read off the paper that Karla gave me of the Mexican national anthem as the music boomed with bad reception. This is all I currently remember from the National anthem of Mexico:
 Mexicanos al grito de guerra
  ----(I don't remember this part) el bridon
y retiemble en sus centros la tierra
al sonoro rugir del cañon


Primaria (elementary school) went first and everyone got bored during that part and then it was my turn. Karla kept asking if I was nervous and I kept saying I wasn't (truth is I was TERRIFIED). I got the microphone and started my much-revised version of the speech (for the sake of the parents and everyone else listening). I read the first page and couldn't get the sheet of paper behind the rest fast enough so I just flung it on the ground. I did that for the rest of the pages that followed. When it was time for me to say which part everyone in my class had done for the newspaper, Karla fed me the words as we completely fibbed for some parts that we said people had done. For example, I said that Evodio had done the health section even though he hadn't. Lore kept turning me and pushing the microphone towards me to cut the feedback from the speakers. It really helped. After my moments of terror, I handed Karla the slightly wet microphone (from my sweaty/nervous hands) and as I turned around Lore gave me a big hug. That felt good to be greeted with a big hug after something so nerve-wracking!



          After Emma's speech (which was right after mine), we rushed into the kitchen to write down the menu so that we could start serving people. The experience of being a waitress wasn't so bad, it's just that I was constantly scared I was going to do something wrong. I didn't, but those thoughts kind of ruined my experience through no fault of anyone else except my own. After that was over, we ate the left-over food which was VERY good.
       My parents forced us to leave to go to soccer practice because it was sunny. They made us go because it was a nice day but Oscar and I didn't want to go because I (I can't speak for Oscar) was physically and mentally exhausted.
      We ended up going and I had more fun than ever (since the school year began) because I was the oldest (or at least the tallest) there. No older kids showed up so I was less self-concious!! I was partners with Fernando for keep-away which I thought was fun! At one point they split us into groups to do scrimmage and Profe chose two captains; he then told them to pick the boys they wanted (niños) then he quickly corrected himself saying boys or girl (niños o niña). The kids laughed and he said, "Well, there is a girl, right!?"!!! 
      After practice we went out to eat to celebrate the "inauguration"of the new unwilling president of DICET (hey wait a sec, I thought that presidents had a choice in the matter!!!!). We ate on the balcony of a REALLY good pizza place on the andador de Guadalupe. We saw Memo (my parents' Spanish teacher who is going to move to Ocosingo) and Gabby (a teacher who will take over Memo's position as Spanish teacher for my parents)! I also saw a teacher from DICET named Margarita who is Oscar's Civica y Etica (Civics and Ethics) teacher. She has a very unnatural shaped butt. I am not being weird because it is true; her butt sticks out very far and is kind of like two rounded triangles. Everyone in my class is wondering if that is even anatomically possible. It probably isn't! (Surgery? Something stuck in her pants??)
                                                           THURSDAY
After a few classes that don't really stand out to me in any way, we did an analysis of sorts about the Kermes the day before. The teachers thought it was great for the first one of the year, but we all agreed it was disorganized. We decided that next time, we would do a sort of buffet where first at the cash register, you would say what you wanted, the cashiers would write it down, and then the customer would pay. The paper on which you would write what they paid for would have a copy below it so that when you wrote on it, it would also pass through to the next page. 
       After school we again went to soccer which was fine. I was temporarily put with Juan Pablo who still didn't really acknowledge we were there. When he saw that we were meant to be partners we both kind of laughed. We did keep-away and played a lot harder than we would have with other people. That was fun.

10 comments:

  1. Willing candidate or otherwise, Mina-chan, congratulations on your new office. We are all for this new development unless your added responsibilities will reduce the time you have available for playing soccer, reading, or writing your blog.

    Love you,
    Papa and Jo Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Felix and Cosmo are extremely impressed by your new title. We really enjoyed looking at the videos, pictures, and, of course, reading your posts. You certainly looked more confident than you were feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I was terrified, I am glad I didn't look that way.

      Delete
  3. way to go. Look at you giving a big spanish speech. you are going to come here and start speaking spanish instead of english

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! that may happen! Lately I have been thinking of words in Spanish first before English. I still have along way to go!!

      Delete
  4. A few months ago, you were just a girl. now you are The PRESIDANT. Even if only of of your school.

    You should really be proud of youself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wilhelmina,
    I have finally caught up on reading all of your blog! I got behind and thought I would never make it. It's been great to read the daily details of your life in Chiapas and your thoughtful reflections. How much you have experienced and learned already.

    Congratulations on being chosen to be president of your school. Even though you didn't seek it or particularly want it, it truly is an honor. You have worked hard to become a part of your class and make friends, and you have ended up being a leader and model of kindness. I definitely think you deserve this honor, and I hope you enjoy it. Hats off to you!

    A kiss from Montana, Nana

    ReplyDelete