Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chocolate and a sort of stern talking-to from Karla.
                   Since I came in late, I sat with Mafer since Tilo was sitting with Lore which is fine, I just prefer to be with Lore! Eloina stopped Physics early so that we had sufficient time to present our math projects. I tried to have someone else go before me but since she made me go first, I did my best to hide my nerves. It helped that the majority of the time I was turned to the white board to show all my math. My project was about converting and then adding and subtracting fractions and decimals. My project was pretty complete so she didn't really ask me any questions like she did with all the other projects!! The only thing they made me do was subtract two decimals that she gave me to make sure that I knew how to do it (I used numbers and answers from my papers to guide me through my presentation).
                     After my presentation, Elo gave us a short time to go down to the kitchen and eat the yummy homemade pizza I brought for breakfast so that after, we could go back up to our class to finish our presentations. Pao's presentation took longer than mine (they asked her more questions) and led us up to when we left the school to go to the Museum of Cacao/Kakaw. When we got to the front desk, an extranjero-ish looking guy was talking with this woman and then she said something and seemingly out of no-where, he claps her on the arm as if to say, "good joke". The woman looked a little weirded out and she and the other lady at the front desk exchanged looks.
                      The explanation of the little exhibits was short, perfect for my museum attention span (which is VERY short). Then she led us to an exhibit with cacao seeds (no sugar, no nothin') and after she had us take the light shell (with my newly cut fingernails, I couldn't do, it so Evodio had to do the majority of it for me). Then she told us to eat them. Daunted by the looks of "eww gross" on my compañero's faces, I took a tentative bite and immediately understood what they were talking about. It was bitter and did not taste anything like chocolate and however unpleasant the chewing and tasting of them was, I had an oddly hard time swallowing them!!
                       They led us over to see a mannequin with a chocolate dress (sculpted from chocolate paste). They had us watch a documentary while we sat on these awesome chairs (unfortunately I think the chairs had a more lasting impression on most of us). After that, we toasted cacao beans, took the shell off them and then ground them into a paste that looked better than it tasted (still, no sugar). Then, after a thorough cleaning of the cacao grinder (in which we got a lot more chocolate), we added sugar (though we discovered later that it was not enough).
                      On the way back in the big van of Eloina's, I got to hold Dylan (Karla's baby) even though practically everyone was mooning over him and wanting to hold him. Upon arriving, we had a quick snack and saw Tilo's presentation. Since it was on a PowerPoint, before he started we all made shadow puppets like the mature middle-schoolers we are!!  Evodio kept stealing Lore's and my chocolate and so I started a new chapter of our poking-in-the sides war. Then, Karla catches me and tells me that hand games (such as those) are for villains (I don't exactly get why) and that it will be my fault if he comes to disrespect me (smacking my butt or something). I mean, I guess I sort of understand what she means but at the same time I think she is sort of over-reacting.
                    Soccer practice was pretty good because I got to hang out with Miguel (he was my partner) and so we talked and laughed and smiled a lot (no I don't like like him). At one point during our scrimmage,  he passed the ball to me even though I was on the opposite team. When his team started to be like what the heck, he said, "Well, I have to be gentlemanly right?" I teased him about it later and he said, "Well, do you want me to not be?" and then it was sort of a truce!! Another kid (whose name I do not know because he is new) kept going "Yur, pues" because I kept losing the ball and I sort of forgot that he was not one of my classmates and stuck my tongue out at him.Then I smiled to make sure he didn't think I was really rude. He didn't seem to hold a grudge (so that's good) and he isn't to rude or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment