Sunday, December 9, 2012

 Wednesday was sort of crazy!!
                  All the training that I hadn't done came down to this....... the one time to prove I could win this thing.......just kidding; it was only the day that I was going to do the Biathlon.
                  I changed into my wet suit and put on my unflattering blue swim cap to make the transition from running to swimming easier. We lined up at the starting line and then a man who did the Iron Man, shot the actual starting gun!!!! We were off. I think I was first for a few seconds before Evodio rushed past me. Favio and I kept together for the first bit but then he pulled away and I was in third. Lore was in fourth, Ana in fifth and Kevin in sixth. It stayed that way during the whole two laps we ran. I was second in the pool (because of my fast transition) followed closely by Favio who shared a lane with me. I started to do my sixteen laps and maybe around the eighth lap, Evodio asks me to "give him a chance," I gave a slight shake of my head and kept going. I was kind of insulted by the fact that he even dared to ask me. I am so competitive and I believe that the fastest should win, I was not about to slow down to "give him a chance" just to make the race more interesting. Okay, moving on, I was the first out of the pool and put my sneakers on halfway so as not to lose my chance of winning this thing. I raced out the door and tore my cap off. I finished the last lap first with second place a lap behind me!!
                   I was really happy but nervous that Evodio was going to take it too hard (I mean he is still my friend). He didn't and I got dressed and put my soaking shoes on to go get snack. While I was there, I learned that indigenous people were mad at the government for arresting ten of their leaders so, to be able to bargain with them, they kidnapped people at a city office and burned documents. It was rumored that the invaders (some indigenous people) came from Chamula. That was what got the teachers really worried, since Chamula is really close to our school. So for that reason they put padlocks on the gates and advised the kids to stay in their rooms. It was kind of exciting because there was a feeling of urgency in the air and nothing happened to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment