Sunday, December 9, 2012

This is the closest thing I have been to a war zone.
              Near the end of the day, the clash between the invaders and the police got close to us. Parents started to collect their children early because the police started to block off roads. Lore and I ran Vanessa's kids to the car and buckled them in as fast as we could. The teachers were all nervous and they canceled PE because all the kids were leaving.
              Evodio was joking around and told me that I have pretty eyes. I thanked him and then he said "like a cat." I play-shoved him and then he gave me a new nickname "Meow." Later on, he asked me if he could call me "Cat" (in English)! I said it was fine because to be perfectly honest, I don't mind either of those nicknames! I really wish that in Salt Lake it wasn't such a big deal to have friends that are boys (Toño and Evodio are some of my good friends) and I wish it wasn't such a big deal if a boy or girl gave a compliment to the opposite gender. In Salt Lake, if any of those things happen, people automatically think there is romantic interest involved when there is not!
              Lucerito thought she heard gunshots and ran to see what was going on. There weren't gunshots but something did happen. Wicho cried because his parents were near to where all the craziness was happening. Ana's parents drove us home after school and stopped at some roadblocks to talk to the police and tell them that they had to let some people through because there were still kids at school and some people have houses up there. We stopped at the local government office and Ricardo Sr. jumped out to tell them about that issue. They dropped us off at our house and advised my parents not to take us to school the next day.
             We skipped practice that day just like the week before this time so that we could pick up my godmothers Shen and Lynn from the airport in Tuxtla!! We packed a small overnight bag just in case the police blocked off the road back to San Cristobal! It didn't happen and we enjoyed a nice ride with my godmothers!!!
            

2 comments:

  1. It was very interesting indeed to get off the plane and see uniformed men with guns throughout the airport! So much excitment. I love those nicknames too by the way--and you do have the very luminous eyes of a cat. I'm always struck by how intelligent they look if they're staring at you. Miss you Meow! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thanks!! Here, everyone thinks my eyes are something special but I don't really notice what is so cool about them!! Thanks for saying so! Miss you to!

      Delete