Friday, November 23, 2012

This would never happen in the United States!!
            Even though I showed up ten to fifteen minutes late yesterday morning, I was still the third person at school! Lorena doesn't really count because she comes with her dad (the teacher of the class) to school every morning. Occasionally--only halfheartedly-- does Eloina try to lecture us on coming to school on time because she knows that time is something not heavily regarded here and that some times, the teacher is even late.
          After breakfast (in which we had delicious hot chocolate), our whole class (or who was there, that is) piled into the car, this time with less squeezing. Three kids from our class didn't show up so there was more room. Karla with her newborn baby sat in shotgun with her husband driving us. Karla got back today! I am really happy because she is my favorite teacher!! She has to take her baby in a sling to teach classes and in the case of yesterday, to parades also. She would have left him at home with someone but he won't take a bottle so to be able to breastfeed him, she has to carry him around!
          After hunting around for a parking space, we jumped out and stood on the side of the road to watch the Day of the Revolution parade. The parade was pretty much groups of kids from almost all the schools in San Cristobal parading the streets and showing off their skills (mainly pyramids, jump roping and pom-pom dancing). We watched in the sun and it was more fun than it seems. At one point, Wicho (a kid from my soccer team) came down the street with his school group and for what felt like an eternity, our eyes locked. Now, I wish I could have had the class to smile but I guess I am slow about those social things.
          We had to leave before it was really over because we heard that these indigenous people were really pissed at the president of some local thing and were trying to kidnap/kill/protest against him depending on who you talk to. We drove straight back to school despite the pleas of seventh, eighth and ninth graders who wanted to go anywhere before we had to go to school. When I say they wanted to go anywhere to waste a little time before going back to school, I mean ANYWHERE. They even asked to go to Soriana (a new supermarket), that's how desperate they were!!
        Upon arriving, we had a short class (taught by Karla) before her husband substitute taught us PE. I like his form of teaching us PE (playing games) better!! We played hide and seek and as Julian (just a kid) counted to thirty, I started to climb a big knarled tree for my hiding spot as Yair said "tipico"(typical). I just smiled. Since I have been here I climb up on a bar and do flips. Now people thinking of me as part monkey (not in the racial sense) because of how much I love to do flips, much to the anxiety of my teachers and classmates! 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your school is..... different

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love hearing about the differences between school in the U.S. and school (your school, anyway) in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a learning experience for me!!

      Delete