Sunday, November 25, 2012

"Is that a girl? Oh my god, it's a girl!" Those were the words that came out of my mouth at soccer practice. But more about that later.
         On Thursday this time during PE we did obstacle courses instead of standing on our heads the whole time. I was glad for the change even though I am awful at dribbling a basketball through cones that are too close together. I suppose there is always a trade-off, right?!
        After we did those races, we convinced Triceratops to let us play basketball this time instead of soccer. I was on a team with Evodio, Lore, Pao and Emma. I got sandwiched many times because of my willingness to get the ball. One time, Toño slammed into me and I fell over; he gave me a hand up. In general when you accidentally foul someone or knock someone over, they help you up and try to make sure that they didn't hurt you too bad. We ended up losing but it was fun regardless of who won.
       After our seemingly routine shopping trips to Soriana, we went to soccer practice where I said, "Is that a girl? Oh my god, it's a girl!" I greeted Profe and then Oscar and I did the whole sashaying thing that we always do to warm up before we practice. I did mine next to the girl; I was so excited she was there that I introduced myself (I rarely do that) and we got to talking. Her name is Michel; she is ten years old; her brother is Javier (he is also on the team) and her parents are forcing her to play. Oscar and I were going to be partners for the drills but Profe put me with Michel (probably Michelle but this is how they pronouce her name and plus I don't want to get her name confused with the boy) so that she could "work with confidence" as Profe put it.
        She had very little soccer experience from what I could tell, so it  was a little hard to work with her but I was just happy to have another girl in our midst. Profe saw that we weren't quite at the same level so he switched Michel to work with Alfredo and Erick came to work with me. That was a lot better and I feel like we are a good match for each other. Profe told us to play keep-away and when we ran past Gabriel (Erick's older brother) while I had the ball and Gabriel said "Ohhhh, Erick, a girl is beating you ohhhh, Erick," I felt kind of like hehe or mwah-haha!!
       Out of ten, soccer practice on Thursday was probably a nine; I was pretty pleased with how I did. If every practice were around those numbers I wouldn't complain!
        When we got home, we ate pizza we had picked up on the way and started to make pies for our Thanksgiving dinner that is going to take place on Friday so that we can stay up later. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad your team has a tiny bit more gender balance. Maybe the two of you can do some recruiting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have more girls on the team!! I am not sure how the recruiting would work but it would be awesome!!

      Delete