Sunday, November 25, 2012

Finally, a soccer game I am mostly proud of.
         At eight thirty in the morning, I woke up to the cold house. I got ready for my soccer game and stepped outside to see how the temperature was. It was pretty cold. I put on my long-sleeved soccer jersey with the longest shorts I own (they are blue and down to my knees) and matching blue socks. We arrived there and it was colder even! I guess I should be glad that our uniforms have long-sleeves but I can't get too excited about it because there is mesh in the back. That means that I have to wear an undershirt...argh!!!
          My team starts to do the cheer and I am a little away from the group when Pepe tells me to join them. Then they pull out a cheer that I have never heard anyone practicing before and I am just standing there listening with my arms folded. Not in a grumpy way just because I don't have anything else to do with them. The first half was sloppy and by the end of it, we were down 2-1. During halftime, there was this paper that everyone had to put their name and number on. When it was my turn, Michelle (the boy) who wrote everyone else's names on it just handed the pencil to me because he had no idea how to spell my name. I wrote it down with my stiff hand as everyone craned to see what I had written.
           The part I was most proud of was when someone passed me the ball and I started dribbling down the line. Dribbling is very rare for me and it got even rarer when no one stole the ball from me. So anyway, I see Michelle out of the corner of my eye and I try to pass it to him, it bounces off the legs of the person who is following me and comes back to me. I pass it again and this time it goes through the guy's legs and to Michelle. What made that moment even greater was when I was dribbling and passing I could hear Profe saying stuff like "good job Yur" and other nice things. That made me feel really good especially because during halftime he told me I need to patrol my area (in a way of speaking). At one point, the ball slammed into my thighs (I was trapping it) and then a boy behind me (on the other team) slams into my back and I lurch forward with a strangled sound. I stagger forward as the referee calls a foul on his part. It didn't hurt but I am glad that I got a foul out of that one! As we were about to start play, the boy who slammed into me came over and asked me if I was okay, that was nice. Michelle was also fouled during the game and later the guy came up to him, put his arm around his shoulder and says "I'm sorry about that, no hard feelings" (as far as I could tell). In the U.S. we generally just say "sorry" as if it is their fault and then walk away. I am included in that "generally."
           We lost 3-2 but I was pleased of how I did. After that freezing game, we went to Jesus' (Doña Lesvia's grandson's) first birthday party. We are thinking that the first birthday is very important after going to that party. They had: a cake that was as tall as a wedding cake, ten piñatas in different characters, prizes for people who did competitions and a bunch of candy. It was very nice even though we were cold. A guy came around with hot pineapple punch and would refill your cups for you and for the adults, he would give you a little alcohol in it!! There were a lot of funny games that people played and it was very fun! None of the women would let us leave without food so we came home with a lot of food.
           I did a little homework before Oscar and I watched Despicable Me. I really love that movie!! The minions are the best part!
         We ate some more turkey for dinner before we watched another two episodes of Heroes! (Emery, I am on Season 2, episode 6 I think. What about you?)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you gave a good account of yourself in the game. (You also gave a good account of the game!) Losing doesn't sting too much when you know you played well.

    We saw Despicable Me last summer and loved it, too.

    Happy Thanksgiving, only a few days late. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you feel like you didn't contribute to the loss a whole lot it makes you feel better! I agree.

      The voice that Steve Carell did for Gru was just hilarious!

      Happy Turkey day to you too!

      Delete
  2. I finnaly started waching Heroes and I love it although Sasha is not so sure about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it!! Tell Sash that there are some really funny parts with Claire and Hiro!!

      Delete
  3. That sounds awesome!!! At Teller sometimes people say sorry but then later you hear them say it wasn't their fault etc.... Not everyone, just the jerks. But I always love it when I am proud of games we lost, it makes them much more meaningful than if we won it and were happy about it!!

    ReplyDelete